Twitter integration in your WordPress themes and templates is really important aspect for sharing your posts with twitter followers.
With such a vast variety of Twitter Plugins and Widgets selecting the right plugin for you can be sometime daunting. Which one is best for you and which one fulfills all your requirements?
Below I have created a list of 10 awesome Twitter Plugins that I can highly recommend.
The TweetMeme Retweet button is the defacto standard in re-tweeting – used by some of the biggest websites in the world including Techcrunch.com, PerezHilton.com, Break.com, CNET.com, Wired, Time Magazine and hundreds of other massive brands, in total it is installed on over 100,000 websites around the globe.
“The Tweetmeme button is a fantastic way for our readers to engage with our stories and signals which posts are a hit with the Twitter community. The button has been a valuable addition to our site and consistently drives reader engagement.” Pete Cashmore, Mashable.com
Easily allows your blog post or page to be re-tweeted. It provides a live count of how many times your post/page has been retweeted throughout Twitter.Download TweetMeme Plugin
Twitter Widget Pro
Twitter Widget Pro is a widget that handles Twitter feeds. It’s true that you could just point an RSS widget at one of the Twitter feeds, but you end up with the whole tweet as a link, @replies don’t function, etc. Twitter Widget Pro properly handles twitter feeds, including linking @username to the user on twitter, linking #hastags to twitter search, parsing URL’s and making them links, allowing you to display your twitter profile image, and even allowing you to specify a custom error message to display when Twitter is down. You can also optionally choose to ignore @replies, leaving them out of your widget. Twitter limits the number of requests that you can make per hour, but you don’t need to worry about this with Twitter Widget Pro. It includes caching so it only polls twitter once every 5 minutes.
Twitter Widget Pro also uses the WordPress multi-widget pattern, similar to the RSS and text widgets, so you can have as many of as you want on your sidebars.Download Twitter Widget Pro Plugin
WP to Twitter
The WP-to-Twitter plugin posts a Twitter status update from your WordPress blog using either the Cli.gs or Bit.ly URL shortening services to provide a link back to your post from Twitter.
For both services you can provide your information to maintain a list of your shortened URLs with your URL shortening service for statistics and your own records.
The plugin can send a default message for updating or editing posts or pages, but also allows you to write a custom Tweet for your post which says whatever you want. By default, the shortened URL from Cli.gs is appended to the end of your message, so you should keep that in mind when writing your custom Tweet.
Any status update you write which is longer than the available space will automatically be truncated by the plugin. This applies to both the default messages and to your custom messages.Download WP to Twitter Plugin
Topsy Retweet Button
Provides a Twitter re-tweet button for your posts that shows all tweets, enables re-tweeting, and adds tweets as comments.
This plugin integrates the Topsy Re-tweet Button with WordPress blogs. The Topsy Re-tweet Button provides the following features:
- A Twitter re-tweet button that shows tweet counts and allows retweeting.
- Highly customizable buttons can be displayed in various colors.
- Automatic URL shortening using bit.ly, tr.im, and others including support for your own shortener API key or username where available.
- Option to add tweets as comments or trackbacks.
- Designed for high volume sites.
- “Streaming” feature allows re-tweet buttons on your site to automatically update the tweet count as more people re-tweet your posts.
- Made to load fast, and to not interfere with your page’s loading or display.
- Works on all modern browsers (MSIE 7 and up, Firefox 3 and up, Google Chrome, and Safari), and works on major smartphone browsers (iPhone, Android, and Palm Prē).
- Displays Topsy TopLinks badges for posts that are in the Topsy Top5k or above
- Topsy doesn’t delete old tweets, so the plugin will work on all of your historical posts.
- Free analytics via Topsy trackback pages.
- Allows you to choose the username used as the source for re-tweets from your blog – e.g. “RT @<your Twitter account> …”
- Allows you to select hashtags to be used with re-tweets, or have hashtags created based on the post’s WordPress tags.
- Buttons can be placed on main blog page, static content page, individual entries, category listings, and archive pages. Can skip buttons from particular categories, or from individual posts.
- Small and large size buttons and button position customization via settings, shortcodes, and manual positioning.
- Supports WordPress 2.0, PHP4 and above.
Official Tweet Button + Twitter Goodies Profile & Search Widget. Plugin shows your tweets on Page/Post/Widget area.
This plugin shows your twitter profile/search tweets under Sidebar Area (Widget), Post and/or Pages. Tweets will REFRESH AUTOMATICALLY. Also it has reply option inside widget on mouse over action. Admin panel option available under Settings -> Twitter Goodies to set different color combination and twitter widget options. This twitter widget is using Twitter Goodies APIs. Integrate Post to Twitter option. Best Twitter Tools and nice Twitter Widget GUI.Download Twitter Goodies Plugin
Allows you to integrate TwitterCounter.com badges on your blog.
Additionally, you can add the Twitter Remote to your blog, which shows which twitter users recently visited your blog or website.
Manually add where you would like to display the badge / remote or use the WordPress sidebar widgets instead.
- Display Twitter Counter badges
- Display Twitter Remote
- Choose custom colors for background and text
- Sidebar widgets included for ease of use
- Complete customization from within the comfort of WordPress Admin
- Deactivating plugin will not kill your theme
- Clean uninstall if you choose to delete the plugin
WP FollowMe is a WordPress plugin that allow you to add a twitter “Follow me” badge on your wordpress blog.
With FollowMe you can
- add a FollowMe Badge on your WordPress blog
- change the color of the badge
- change the follow me label
- change the position of the badge (left side or right side and the distance from top)
Provides several Twitter widgets: show your own tweets, show tweets relevant to post’s tags, show tweets for Twitter lists, show tweets for hasht.
Better than Twitter’s own widgets – Tweet Blender is tag-aware and has support for multiple authors, lists, hashtags, and keywords all blended together. The plugin can show tweets from just one user or a list of users (as all other Twitter plugins do); however, it can also show tweets for a topic which you can define via Twitter hashtag or keyword. But there is more! It can also show tweets for multiple authors AND multiple lists AND multiple keywords AND multiple hashtags all blended together into a single stream.Download Tweet Blender Plugin
This plugin integrates your WordPress blog with your Twitter account allowing you to send new blog posts to Twitter as a tweet and and vice versa. Cross-promotion of a blog posts to Twitter is fairly common and can be automatically achieved with Twitter Tools. You can also create digests that consolidate all of your tweets. Also, the plugin is entirely pluggable and can be extended just like WordPress itself.Download Twitter Tools Plugin
Twitter for WordPress
Twitter for WordPress displays yours latest tweets in your WordPress blog.
- Widget support
- No options page (yes, its a feature)
- Uses WordPress resources (no extra files needed)
- Detects URLs, e-mail address and @username replies
To view other great plugins available for your WordPress installation be sure to view our Plugins category.